Communication is the backbone of our society. It allows us to form connections, influence decisions, and motivate change. Without communication skills, the ability to progress in the working world and in life, itself, would be nearly impossible. Public speaking is one of the most important and most dreaded forms of communication.
Washington Chinese Media is proud to host the first annual America's Future - Public Speaking Contest on January 7th 2017.
The contest welcomes individuals from 4th grade to 12th grade to participate.
A non-refundable registration fee of $50 is required from each contestant to participate. Please fill out the registration form online and make payment via PayPal to complete the registration process.
Three grade-based divisions are used for the Public Speaking Contest:
- Junior Division: grade 4-6
- Intermediate Division: grade 7-9
- Senior Division: grade 10-12
- All contestants will compete in both prepared speech and impromptu speech categories.
- The prepared speech has no restriction on the subject, but there is a limit in speech length based on your grade division.
- The subject for impromptu speech will be the same for all contestants in the same division, and it will not be disclosed until the time of speech.
- You will be given scores for both prepared and impromptu speeches.
- Your final score is the sum of both scores.
|Contestant age group
||Prepared Speech time limit
||Impromptu speech time limit
||45 seconds- 90 seconds
- When the speaker has met the minimum time, the timer will raise the Green card; when the speaker has made the mid-point, the timer will raise the Yellow card; and when the speaker has met the maximum time, the timer will raise the Red card. The speaker will have 15 seconds to wrap up to avoid disqualification.
- Judges’ decisions are final.
- Notes on index cards are acceptable. Reading speech script will lose points.
- The speech must have be an original work, written by the person giving the speech. Topic and content of the speech must be age-appropriate for audience age 8-18.
- Audience (students, parents and general public) should follow the instruction of contest host and establish an encouraging and warm environment for the contestants to demonstrate their best performance.
Recognition & Awards
1st, 2nd, and 3rd winners of each grade division will receive America's Future Public Speaking Contest trophy, their performance video will be published on Washington Chinese Media website. All contestants will receive a merit certificate for participation, and a video of their own performance.
Time and Location
- Registration deadline: Dec 17, 2017
- Date and time: 2017, January 7th 10am~4pm
- Location: Pender Professional Center, 3901 Fair Ridge Dr, Fairfax, VA 22033